Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Side Note

Something in the back of my head has been nagging me about the completely out-of-period pictures I am using on this blog. The picture in the heading is The Siesta by John Frederick Lewis, circa 1870s, and the miniature I have been using as a profile picture (just until I have some proper pictures of myself in garb!!) was done by Abdulcelil Levni in the 1720s.

I was fully aware that both of these works were out of Emine's time frame as well as the overall time frame of the SCA, but I do so love Pre-Raphaelite art and it struck me as interesting that I actually resemble somewhat the sleeping woman in The Siesta. I thought perhaps by obscuring the picture a bit it would make it less noticeable, but I'm still noticing it so it'll have to go.

The miniature I'm using as a profile pic has been a favorite for years and, while I in no way wish I make excuses for the garb she is wearing, I would much rather wait until I have proper pictures of myself in garb before I replace that profile pic. Hopefully that will be very soon.

In the meantime, here is a picture of me in very inaccurate garb (and with shorter hair), just in case you were wondering what I look like...


Edit: Okay, I went ahead and replaced the profile picture with this one. For now.

No comments: