Friday, April 3, 2009

Medieval Fair Recap

The University of Oklahoma Medieval Fair was this weekend (for those of you wondering just why I'm mentioning this, please click here). In all it was a good weekend but not a great weekend. I feel like I let myself and my baronies down in a lot of ways. I had volunteered to be a water bearer, but they seemed to have more than enough people at any given time. I had volunteered to walk the ropes and talk to the audience, but felt better suited to hanging out in the living history tent making buttons (article coming soon!). At least there I could talk to people without having to scream over the audience. A herald I am most definitely not.

Friday I spent much of the day in the SCA Information booth. Unfortunately, the word "information" threw off the proper operation of the booth's sole inhabitant (I was SO bored and SOOOOO lonely!!!) so I wound up answering (or attempting to answer) ridiculous, non-SCA-related questions like...

"Where is the cotton candy booth?"
"Do they have the monkey this year?"
"What is this game called and how much does it cost to play?" (speaking of the heavy fighting)
"Where can I find those hair things? I don't know what they're called but they go in your hair."

Needless to say, not the most fun I've ever had, but it was better than nothing. Someone finally offered to take over for me and I got to walk around the fair briefly with Kyna and our newbie, Andrew. We had a chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick and enjoyed perusing the shops for about an hour before securing site and going home. Afterward Kyna and Andrew joined Ashikaga and myself for dinner at Denny's and much laughing and drooling of sandwiches ensued.

Saturday at fair was much more fulfilling. I spent most of my time chatting with Genefe in the Living Artstent (we called it "Living Arts" because people were in it actively working on projects; the other booth just had displays). I had a project in my lap, so people were actually asking me questions and I think that was much better for me than trying to scream over the audience. I'm just not that outgoing.

Saturday night we had court at the local Masonic lodge and there was supposed to be a party afterward, but we were very tired and sore so we went home pretty much right after court. I was asleep within seconds of my head hitting the pillow.

Sunday was.... horrible. It was cold and unbelievably windy. Many of the tents had been packed up and taken home early in the morning. Their Excellencies Namron left their tent up and had a heater going so many of the ladies piled in there to sing and work on crafts. I was too cold and tired to make more buttons so I just watched everyone else. Of course Ashikaga was fighting, but I couldn't see him from the warmth of the tent so I was bored most of the time. About 3 o'clock Andy (Cadfael's little brother) asked me to go for a walk and I got a chocolate covered turtle cheesecake on a stick (c'mon it's only once a year!). Afterward I had to take Cadfael to work so I left Ashikaga there to fight with Andrew and I went home.

As for garb, unfortunately once again I was strictly behind the camera and didn't get any pictures of myself. But I did get a test run on my new gomlek and even newer entari (article coming soon). There are some things I don't like about both so I will be modifying them this week in preparation for Wiesenfeuer Baronial next weekend. I need to make at least one more entari and finish my caftan... after I rescue my sewing machine from Adena.

One of the highlights of my weekend was spending time with my SCA family that I don't get to see very often. What is funny to me is that they are all Norse and here I am, little Turkish girl. haha But being the odd one out has its benefits because my Norse family all does leather work and likes to experiment with other cultures. Papa Halldor is learning how to make period Turkish slippers just for me and fur-covered Japanese boots for Ashikaga! Yay!

No comments: